Saturday, June 18, 2011

Money Can't Buy Me Friends or Beach Houses

After a fabulous overnight stay at my dear friends beach house I want to share word on a sordid topic. Money. Yes it is a very taboo topic amongst people and just as my father taught me as as child “You don’t discuss religion, politics or money amongst friends.”. But who listens to parents anyway? What do they know? For Father’s Day’s sake, I’ll honor my own father and keep it modest. I’ll offer my own bit of real world experience as inspiration in seeking your own friend and financial enlightenment. Don’t envy what others have because as you will see here, some things money just cannot buy.

A note: These are my own personal beliefs and personal financial standings as of now. If you disagree or are of more fortunate circumstance, it’s still worth the read.

I cannot buy a friendship. None of us can. If they were to put price tags on the real ones no one could afford it. I am not talking the fake ones that pervade both our social and shopping lives. Like a fake Louis, it can sometimes be hard to spot a faux friend as they disguise themselves with the same cheap designer smile and false commitment. As with many women in my life, I admire this woman. She is very successful and tries hard to balance her gorgeous family and very busy life, all the while finding time for a getaway sleepover at her beach house. We are also bonded in a Panhellenic sisterhood that few would dream to understand. And as anyone wells knows, we are all sworn to secrecy on the matter. I keep my circle very tight knit and I like it that way. For me, to call someone a friend is huge. I don’t come across the real thing very often nor am I invited to beach houses often. There are few people around me that I entrust my family and feelings with and those are my friends. So when I think that I come across the real thing, I just keep my friends close and that’s it. Money just cannot buy friends.

I cannot buy a beach house. Some of just can’t. As much as I would love to finagle my family finances and invest in a weekend beach getaway of my own, I won’t do it right now. My family simply cannot afford it. That is why it is so key to not only recognize what we can and cannot afford but also cherish those around us who are so very blessed. My dear friend and her family are blessed.

I have found my very own bit of happiness in this world in many ways but who’s to say I don’t measure up in someone else’s eyes? I don’t really care and neither should you. Wasn’t it that social pressure that caused so many of us to gamble our own financial futures? Unethical practices and overindulgence caused people to step outside of themselves for a moment and partake in things that they normally would not. I’ve seen mansions abandoned overnight, women & children in the cold & dark, and cars repossesed at country club weddings. That’s where we were but now we are back, right? We need to learn to be completely happy with where we are in our lives because I know that I am, beach house or not. My friend is blessed not only to have an absolutely fabulous additional home but also to share it with me & my family for the weekend. This bungalow could sleep as many as you want because it’s a bungalow on the beach. When I say on the beach, I don’t mince words. Think sand on the couch despite the foot and hand dipping bucket that is everpresently beside the door. The breezes were amazing and the tide was at both record highs and lows. Altogether beach bliss and I’ll be going back very soon.

All I am saying is take in what you have around you and breathe it all in, despite your current circumstances. We all have a lot and if you are reading this in your spare time, you’ve got it better than most. As of last count over 43.6 million Americans lived at or below the poverty level. Many of these people lack the financial ability to pay monthly rents in often times undesirable living conditions. Drugs, low educational quality and poor food options attribute to poverty in the US being a cyclical situation. The poverty threshold measures the lack of goods and services that mainstream Americans take for granted, (i.e. food & medical care). The latest count totaled us at less than $21,900 for a family of four and $10,900 for an individual. Think about that for just a second. Wherever you fall with the shocking but true statistics, try to know this one thing: wherever you are in your life, it could always be worse so please appreciate what you have both in and around you. Your situation could change at any given time. There are some things that money just cannot buy.

Thank you friend for opening your life & home to us. Your adorable house & real life were a change of pace and a much needed break. I relaxed and the children had a ball.


After a fabulous overnight stay at my dear friends beach house I want to share a word on a very sorted topic. Perhaps it was the sea air or too much Vitamin D from our dear Sun but I want to talk about money. Yes it is a very taboo topic amongst people and just as my father taught me as as child “You don’t discuss religion, politics or money amongst friends.”. But who listens to parents anyway? What do they know? For Father’s Day’s sake, I’ll honor my own papa and keep it modest. I’ll offer my own bit of real world experience as inspiration in seeking your own friend and financial enlightenment. Don’t envy what others have because as you will see here, some things money just cannot buy.

A note: These are my own personal beliefs and personal financial standings as of now. If you disagree or are of more fortunate circumstance good for you! It’s still worth the read.

I cannot buy a friendship. None of us can. If they were to put price tags on the real ones no one could afford it. I am not talking the fake ones that pervade both our social and shopping lives. Like a fake Louis, it can sometimes be hard to spot a faux friend as they disguise themselves with the same cheap designer smile and false commitment. As with many women in my life, I admire this woman. She is very successful and tries hard to balance her gorgeous family and very busy life, all the while finding time for a getaway sleepover at her beach house. We are also bonded in a Panhellenic sisterhood that few would dream to understand. And as anyone wells knows, we are all sworn to secrecy on the matter. I keep my circle very tight knit and I like it that way. For me, to call someone a friend is huge. I don’t come across the real thing very often nor am I invited to beach houses often. There are few people around me that I entrust my family and feelings with and those are my friends. So when I think that I come across the real thing, I just keep my friends close and that’s it.

I cannot buy a beach house. Some of just can’t. As much as I would love to finagle my family finances and and invest in a weekend beach getaway of my own, I won’t do it right now. My family simply cannot afford it. That is why it is so key to not only recognize what we can and cannot afford but also cherish those around us who are so very blessed. My dear friend and her family are blessed.


My friend is blessed not only to have an absolutely fabulous additional home but also to share it with me & my family for the weekend. This island bungalow could sleep as many as you want because it’s a bungalow on the beach. When I say on the beach, I don’t mince words. Think open door policy, sand on the couch despite the foot and hand dipping bucket that is everpresently beside the door. The breezes were amazing and the tide was at both record highs and lows. Altogether beach bliss and I’ll be going back very soon.

All I am saying is take in what you have around you and breathe it all in, despite your current circumstances. We all have a lot and if you are reading this is your spare time, you’ve got it better than most. in often times undesirable living conditions. Drugs, low educational quality and poor food options attribute to poverty in the US being a cyclical situation. The poverty threshold measures the lack of goods and services that mainstream Americans take for granted, (i.e. food & medical care). The latest count totaled us at less than $21,900 for a family of four and $10,900 for an individual. Think about that for just a second. Wherever you fall with the shocking but true statistics, try to know this one thing: wherever you are in your life, it could always be worse so please appreciate what you have both in and around you. Your situation could change at any given time. There are some things that money just cannot buy.

Thank you dear friend for opening and sharing your charming house and real life with us. I was in great need of a change of scenery and the children had a ball.