Saturday, November 12, 2011

Anatomy of a Coat

I have spent the past day reading over some of the most amazing posts by writers from all walks of life about their personal take on Veteran’s Day. It is such a beautiful day and the fact that it is all about remembering and honoring is what really gets me. I will not even attempt to put in my two cents on our most devoted Veterans but I have been touched by this day.

Now, I must honor something that too, is a veteran in it’s own right. It has seen things and stood strong against the test of time. I gave you a hint of my latest acquisition in a previous post but here it is piece by piece. It is vintage, full of mustiness & wear, but I instantly fell in love.

Full of curiosity, I sent off for an appraisal and the findings were so very rewarding. According to Deborah Miller Appraisals, this coat is from the 1950’s and see that beautiful crewel work? It is handcrafted by a professional. It is a technique that is over 1000 years old. This type of work is hardly ever done these days but seen in fine vintage pieces from all over the world.



The lining is silk and there is the most intriguing little animal patch sewn into the back of the coat. Though he seems to be missing one horn, I am now very fond of him. Nothing is known of his origin but there in lies the mystery that I purchased with this coat. You cannot put a price tag on pieces with history. But because we live in the real world, I paid $60.

I believe that the buttons are from the horns or bones or an animal as I’ve another coat with the same type buttons. This too, for now, remains a mystery.


Here is a detail that is not often seen anymore. The crewel stitch work done on the cuffs and back (seen here) really take this jacket to the next level. The colors, details, & super heavy weight fabric make this my cold weather lover of 2011. It’s old, classically sophisticated (with a bit of bohemian) & will protect me from the harsh climates. This is what we should ask for when shopping for vintage clothes and other things...

Thank you to Mario & Mario, Jr. for having this one of a kind coat at your booth. It spoke to me and I had to speak back.